Center for Archaeological Research
The Center for Archaeological Research (CAR) at the University of Texas at San Antonio performed archeological testing at the Pavo Real site (41BX52) between November 2006 and June 2007 for HNTB. The purpose of archeological testing was to determine the depth of construction fill and the presence, location and, if possible, condition, of any remnant archeological deposits. Proposed improvements along Loop 1604 include bridge bents that will be constructed east of Leon Creek and west of the IH-10/Loop 1604 interchange overpass. Impacts associated with proposed improvements will occur within the boundaries and in the immediate vicinity of 41BX52. Archeological testing consisted of coring, backhoe trenching and block excavations. Coring and backhoe trenching within the northern and southern medians indicated the presence of thick fill material of unknown depths in the western portion of the site and a decrease in fill and soils on the eastern segment. Suite II soils, that were assumed to be associated with the first occupation of the site, were identified during backhoe trenching, initiating block excavations. Block excavations were conducted within the area to be directly impacted by a bridge bent and basin in aims of dating Suite II soils. The excavation of two 2-x-2-meter (m) blocks and two additional 1-x-1-m units produced Early Archaic diagnostics. Paleoindian period materials were not encountered during archeological investigations of the site. Two samples collected from Block 2 excavations yielded single grain OSL ages of 18,300±920 years BP and 18,200±1,030 years BP. Statistical analysis concluded that lithic debitage recovered from the Suite II deposits were significantly smaller than Suites III and IV specimens, supporting the conclusion that cultural material from Suite III could have worked their way down into the deposit accounting for the specimens present in Suite II. Moreover, OSL results suggested that Suite II deposits may have undergone post-depositional disturbance.
Archeological testing of the site was conducted under Texas Antiquities permit No. 4092. The initial coring and trenching of the site was conducted under a TxDOT General Services Contract with Raymond P. Mauldin serving as the principal investigator. The subsequent testing was performed under a contract with HNTB with Steve Tomka serving as the principal investigator. Antonia L. Figueroa served as the project archeologist. Charles D. Frederick served as the project geoarcheologist. All artifacts and records collected during this project are curated at the Center for Archaeological Research according to Texas Historical Commission guidelines.
This is a work produced for the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) by the report producer. TxDOT and the report producer jointly own all rights, title, and interest in and to all intellectual property developed under TxDOT’s contract with the report producer. The report may be cited and brief passages from this publication may be reproduced without permission provided that credit is given to both TxDOT and the report producer. Permission to reprint an entire chapter, section, figures or tables must be obtained in advance from either the Supervisor of the Archeological Studies Branch, Environmental Affairs Division, Texas Department of Transportation, 125 East 11th Street, Austin, Texas, 78701 or from the report producer.
American Material Culture Commons, Archaeological Anthropology Commons, Environmental Studies Commons, Other American Studies Commons, Other Arts and Humanities Commons, Other History of Art, Architecture, and Archaeology Commons, United States History Commons
Tell us how this article helped you.