Center for Archaeological Studies
At the request of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD), the Center for Archaeological Studies (CAS) at Texas State University-San Marcos conducted limited test excavations at the Levi Jordan Plantation State Historic Site (41BO165). The Levi Jordan Plantation was established by Levi Jordan in 1848. At its height, this antebellum sugar and cotton plantation sat on more than 2,000 acres of rich river bottomlands in the Gulf Coastal Plains of Brazoria County, Texas. Limited test excavations focused on areas around and within the main house, in addition to areas to be developed for interpretation and public access to the site. Survey and excavations were conducted during June and July of 2005 under Texas Antiquities Permit No. 3800. Limited excavations at the main house support an occupation that extends from the antebellum period through the end of the twentieth century. Numerous features uncovered during excavations provide valuable information concerning the original construction and additions to the main house. Artifacts collected during the project were processed in accordance with TPWD Archaeology Lab Manual and curated at TPWD. Archaeological data from the current archaeological investigation addressed questions on the historical development of the main house and site. This data will be utilized by TPWD for long-term stewardship, interpretation, and management of these resources.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License
American Material Culture Commons, Archaeological Anthropology Commons, Environmental Studies Commons, Other American Studies Commons, Other Arts and Humanities Commons, Other History of Art, Architecture, and Archaeology Commons, United States History Commons
Tell us how this article helped you.