Caddo Archeology Journal
A WPA-University of Texas archaeological unit excavated in the vicinity of Texarkana from November 1, 1938, to August 25, 1939, on the A. J. Hatchel place [41BW3], Bowie County. During that time a large earthen mound and adjacent cemeteries were excavated under the direction of William C. Beatty, Jr.
The mound, 190 x 145 x 30 feet, was located on what seemed to be an old channel of Red River about a mile from the present stream. The site was part of an extensive village, perhaps related to other mound and village groups within a radius of three miles. The entire area, which contains nine or more mounds, shows evidence of long-continued occupation by fairly large numbers. The Hatchel mound had long served as a place of refuge for livestock in periods of overflow.
Jackson, A. T.
"Hatchel Site and Paul Mitchell Cemetery,"
Index of Texas Archaeology: Open Access Gray Literature from the Lone Star State: Vol. 2003
, Article 20. https://doi.org/10.21112/.ita.2003.1.20
Available at: https://scholarworks.sfasu.edu/ita/vol2003/iss1/20
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.
American Material Culture Commons, Archaeological Anthropology Commons, Environmental Studies Commons, Other American Studies Commons, Other Arts and Humanities Commons, Other History of Art, Architecture, and Archaeology Commons, United States History Commons
Tell us how this article helped you.