On December 14, 1944, the Seventy-Eighth United States Congress passed a bill that authorized the transfer of 2,560 acres in Nacogdoches County, Texas, to the research branch of the United States Forest Service (USFS). This land became the Stephen F. Austin Experimental Forest (SFAEF) on September 19. 1945. One of eighty-one federal experimental forests and ranges nationally, it is the only one of its kind in Texas. Located seven miles west of Nacogdoches, three quarters of the Forest consists of bottomland hardwood forests along the Angelina River and the remainder of mixed pine and hardwood uplands.
Russell, Cary C.; Thill, Ronald E.; and Kulhavy, David, "The Stephen F. Austin Experimental Forest" (2002). Faculty Publications. 415.