The Will Odham site (ET-713) was recorded by Gus E. Arnold in March 1940 under the auspices of the WPA-sponsored archaeological survey of East Texas. The site was on an alluvial rise in the Big Turnpike Creek valley; Big Turnpike Creek is a tributary to Mud Creek in the Angelina River basin in the East Texas Pineywoods (Figure 1). The J. B. Maxwell site (41CE43), also recorded by Arnold, lies ca. 600 m northwest of the Odham site (Perttula 2017).
Archaeological deposits were estimated to cover a 5 acre area, but were concentrated in a ca. 60 m diameter area. These deposits had animal bone, mussel shells, ceramic vessel sherds, ground stone tools, and human skeletal materials. Burials had been reported to have been plowed up previously by the landowner in the eastern half of the site; the only known funerary objects reported associated with these burials were ceramic pipes.
Perttula, Timothy K.
"The Ancestral Caddo Ceramic Assemblage from the Will Odham Site (41CE42) in the Angelina River Basin, Cherokee County, Texas,"
Index of Texas Archaeology: Open Access Gray Literature from the Lone Star State: Vol. 2017
, Article 20. https://doi.org/10.21112/ita.2017.1.20
Available at: https://scholarworks.sfasu.edu/ita/vol2017/iss1/20
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.
American Material Culture Commons, Archaeological Anthropology Commons, Environmental Studies Commons, Other American Studies Commons, Other Arts and Humanities Commons, Other History of Art, Architecture, and Archaeology Commons, United States History Commons
Tell us how this article helped you.