•  
  •  
 

Agency

Texas Historical Commission

Abstract

In June of 2011, Deep East Texas Archaeological Consultants (DETAC) conducted a cultural resource management survey of the proposed City of Nacogdoches Banita Creek Sanitary Sewer Replacement Project. The replacement project was to be approximately 9.5-kilometers long and was to consist of a 6-meter wide permanent RightOf-Way (ROW). The proposed project was located within the Banita Creek floodplain in Nacogdoches County, Texas. The survey was conducted under Texas Antiquities Permit #5967. The proposed project area was covered by a pedestrian survey to locate, describe and record any cultural resources within the project area boundaries. The survey was conducted with a combination of visual examination of the property and sub-surface exposure through shovel testing. Because of the proposed project’s proximity to known cultural resource locations, special importance was given to locating sub-surface and surface prehistoric and historic features and/or materials. DETAC conducted a 100 percent pedestrian survey of approximately 57% of the sanitary sewer replacement project. The remaining 43% was inaccessible due to not having landowner permission, having restricted access, or large areas of packed gravel, concrete, and asphalt. All shovel tests were negative and no artifacts were collected. In M a y o f 2017, DETAC w as notifi e d that the proposed project was suspended indefinitely and that although multiple ROW alignment changes were considered, no final alignment alternative was chosen. Based on the testing limitations discussed above, DETAC is recommending that if this proposed project resumes that the newly considered alignments be surveyed to evaluate the potential impacts to cultural resources important to the State of Texas.

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

Share

Submission Location

 
COinS

Tell us how this article helped you.

 
 

To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.