Journal of Northeast Texas Archaeology
The Coker Mound site (41CS1) in the lower Sulphur River basin in the East Texas Pineywoods is one of the few known earthen mounds constructed by ancestral Caddo peoples in the Sulphur River area. The site was first investigated by the University of Texas (UT) in 1932, then revisited in 1949 by archaeologists surveying the flood pool area for the then proposed Lake Texarkana (now Lake Wright Patman). In the 1990s, collectors began to excavate in a mound at the Coker site (there may be as many as four mounds at the site), where they encountered a number of Caddo burials and associated funerary offerings. Among the funerary offerings was a Haley Engraved bottle, and a single human vertebra from the burial deposit (obtained from one of the collectors) was eventually radiocarbon-dated by Beta Analytic, Inc. The 2 sigma calibrated age range of this sample (Beta-92919) is A.D. 1300-1435, with a calibrated intercept of A.D. 1405. The calibrated radiocarbon date and the Haley Engraved bottle are both indicative of use of the Coker Mound site during the Middle Caddo period.
Perttula, Timothy K.
"The Coker Mound (41CS1) in the Sulphur River Basin of East Texas,"
Index of Texas Archaeology: Open Access Gray Literature from the Lone Star State: Vol. 2015
, Article 35. https://doi.org/10.21112/.ita.2015.1.35
Available at: https://scholarworks.sfasu.edu/ita/vol2015/iss1/35
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.
American Material Culture Commons, Archaeological Anthropology Commons, Environmental Studies Commons, Other American Studies Commons, Other Arts and Humanities Commons, Other History of Art, Architecture, and Archaeology Commons, United States History Commons
Tell us how this article helped you.