Journal of Northeast Texas Archaeology
The Glade Creek at Oil Lease Grave site is reported by Buddy C. Jones to have been a large Caddo cemetery that was found and excavated by a Mr. C. W. Bailey sometime before 1954. Jones labeled the site as GC-23 in his site recording system. As far as can be determined from the available notes, the site was located on Glade Creek, a small spring-fed stream that is a tributary to Witcher Creek, in the Little Cypress Creek basin in the northern part of Gregg County, Texas, in the East Texas Pineywoods.
A single ceramic vessel from the site is in the Buddy Jones collections at the Gregg County Historical Museum in Longview, Texas. The vessel was documented in July 2013.
Perttula, Timothy K.
"Glade Creek at Oil Lease Grave Site, Gregg County, Texas,"
Index of Texas Archaeology: Open Access Gray Literature from the Lone Star State: Vol. 2014
, Article 57. https://doi.org/10.21112/.ita.2014.1.57
Available at: https://scholarworks.sfasu.edu/ita/vol2014/iss1/57
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.
American Material Culture Commons, Archaeological Anthropology Commons, Environmental Studies Commons, Other American Studies Commons, Other Arts and Humanities Commons, Other History of Art, Architecture, and Archaeology Commons, United States History Commons
Tell us how this article helped you.