Journal of Northeast Texas Archaeology
The Hatchel site (41BW3) is a major prehistoric and protohistoric Caddo village and mound center on the Red River in Bowie County, Texas. The site was occupied by the Caddo from at least A.D. 1040 to the late 17 century. The earliest end of this age range is based on 2-sigma calibrated ages from radiocarbon dates recently obtained in the village areas.
In 1691, A Spanish expedition led by Don Domingo Teran de los Rios explored the Red River area, and a detailed map was drawn of a Nasoni Caddo village that depicted a templo or temple mound at the western end of the village. That mound has been identified as the large earthen mound at the Hatchel site. The map also showed many houses, and associated outbuildings, from numerous individual compounds in the village. The village itself is believed to have extended several miles along the Red River.
Perttula, Timothy K.
"Views of the Hatchel Site (41BW3) During the 1938-1939 WPA Excavations,"
Index of Texas Archaeology: Open Access Gray Literature from the Lone Star State: Vol. 2005
, Article 23. https://doi.org/10.21112/.ita.2005.1.23
Available at: https://scholarworks.sfasu.edu/ita/vol2005/iss1/23
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.
American Material Culture Commons, Archaeological Anthropology Commons, Environmental Studies Commons, Other American Studies Commons, Other Arts and Humanities Commons, Other History of Art, Architecture, and Archaeology Commons, United States History Commons
Tell us how this article helped you.