Caddo Archeology Journal
This large artificial mound is known as Site ET-30, A.J. Hatchel place [41BW3], Bowie County. The mound, located on what seems to be an old channel of Red River about one mile from the present stream, is part of an extensive village, perhaps related to other mound and village groups within a radius of three miles. The entire area, containing nine or more mounds, shows evidence of long-continued occupation by fairly large numbers of people. Judging from its size, and the surrounding indications of a large village, this particular mound may have been the early cultural center of the region. The mound has long been a prominent landmark, and in historic times has served as a place of refuge for livestock in periods of overflow.
Clarence B. Moore, while exploring archeological sites along Red River in Arkansas in 1912, heard of the mound and navigated the Red River to that point to inspect the site. He was unable to make necessary arrangements with the landowner, and hence did no work in the mound.
Jackson, A. T.
"Excavation of an Earth Mound, Bowie County, Texas,"
Index of Texas Archaeology: Open Access Gray Literature from the Lone Star State: Vol. 2004
, Article 20.
Available at: https://scholarworks.sfasu.edu/ita/vol2004/iss1/20
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.
American Material Culture Commons, Archaeological Anthropology Commons, Environmental Studies Commons, Other American Studies Commons, Other Arts and Humanities Commons, Other History of Art, Architecture, and Archaeology Commons, United States History Commons
Tell us how this article helped you.