Home > Research Projects and Centers > Center for Regional Heritage Research > Index of Texas Archaeology > Vol.
Center for Archaeological Research
Mission Nuestra Senora del Rosario founded in 1754, is located four miles west of modem-day Goliad, Texas. Established for the Karankawa Indians, it was finally abandoned in 1808. Archaeological investigations have been conducted at the site in the 1940s, 1970s, and 1990s. This body of work, the most recent, was conducted by the Center for Archaeological Research at The University of Texas at San Antonio (CAR) (UTSA) under the auspices of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD). In July through September 1999, CAR excavated 105 units, cleared some above-ground walls, and probed for buried walls or foundations. A geophysical survey complementing the archaeological investigations was conducted by Baylor University geophysicists. Archival research combined with extensive field mapping using an electronic Total Data Station has resulted in a visual synthesis of mission features and the previous investigations associated with them.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License
American Material Culture Commons, Archaeological Anthropology Commons, Environmental Studies Commons, Other American Studies Commons, Other Arts and Humanities Commons, Other History of Art, Architecture, and Archaeology Commons, United States History Commons
Tell us how this article helped you.