Center for Archaeological Research
During May 24-30, 1986, archaeological investigations at Fort Martin Scott (41GL52) were conducted by the Center for Archaeological Research at The University of Texas at San Antonio. The fort was established by the U.S. Army in 1848. It was the fifth United States fort in Texas. Only one of the fort’s original buildings now exists. The foundations for an additional eight structures were identified and documented by this project. The property on which this old fort is located is owned by the City of Fredericksburg. The Fredericksburg Heritage Federation plans to develop the area as a day-use facility which includes archaeological and historical interpretations of the fort during its tenure (1848-1853) as a military outpost on western frontier.
Cite this Record
Labadie, Joseph H.
"Archaeological Investigations at Fort Martin Scott (41GL52) in Gillespie County, Texas,"
Index of Texas Archaeology: Open Access Gray Literature from the Lone Star State: Vol. 1987,
Article 5. https://doi.org/10.21112/ita.1987.1.5
Available at: https://scholarworks.sfasu.edu/ita/vol1987/iss1/5
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License
American Material Culture Commons, Archaeological Anthropology Commons, Environmental Studies Commons, Other American Studies Commons, Other Arts and Humanities Commons, Other History of Art, Architecture, and Archaeology Commons, United States History Commons
Tell us how this article helped you.