Center for Archaeological Research
La Villita Earthworks is located in the heart of downtown San Antonio, Texas. The site appears to have been formed initially in late February 1836, by Mexican soldiers with General Santa Anna’s invading forces during the second battle of the Alamo. The outcome of this battle has been the topic for literally thousands of books over the past 149 years. Now, for the first time, archaeological evidence has been discovered which provides the first real glimpse at the Mexican side of the battle of the Alamo. The ramifications of the discovery are yet to be fully realized. Military historians and other scholars now have material evidence from the actual battle by which to evaluate the accuracy of the several eyewitness accounts of the battle. For archaeologists, the site represents the most comprehensive look yet afforded at San Antonio during this famous period.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License
American Material Culture Commons, Archaeological Anthropology Commons, Environmental Studies Commons, Other American Studies Commons, Other Arts and Humanities Commons, Other History of Art, Architecture, and Archaeology Commons, United States History Commons
Tell us how this article helped you.